Home

Monday, June 2, 2014

MY FIRST NIGHT

It was his first night, not as in, first night here; but as in, first night in the house. June 1, 2014 turned out to be a monumental day in the life of Boychik.
 
Hunny was getting ready for bed and asked me if I was going to try him inside tonight.   I said that I didn't want to get up in the middle of the night and to let him out of the "cage" when he started whining because he saw a cat stroll by.  We had tried him once before and when the lights went out in the house he started panicking and digging at the side of the "cage".
 
We have a wire cage (kennel) we are using for him.  It has a piece of carpet in the bottom of it.  I vacuum the carpet every day.  We also keep a huge bath towel on it so if he is extra dirty I just shake it off and throw it in the washer.  It also helps when he needs to finish drying after his spa treatments.
 
When we brought the "cage" out for him it was just to be used to potty train.  We had read about "crate" training.  We had never needed to do it for any previous dogs.  We decided this dog, who was a year old, who seemed to not know when he needed to go, may need it.  We didn't like the idea of closing him in.  It seemed too much like punishment. 
 
 
The web, just said do it and don't make internments too long.  No hints on how to get him in the cage.  This is a big dog and picking him up and putting him in it, is not an option (Maybe if I was still 35 years old I could do it.  At twice that, my muscle mass isn't what it used to be.)  We used the lead and led him to it and tried to get him to go in.  He balked and backed up.  I fed the lead through the back of the cage and we tried to pull him in.  He put his brakes on when his feet touched the metal threshold of the door.
 
I thought, this is a chow hound he will do anything for food.  I went and got a piece of cheese and fed him a couple of bites.  Let him see the rest of the slice and smell it and then I tossed it to the back of the cage.  Success.  I then went and did the evening chores while Hunny sat on a cushion at the door of the cage, cooing at him and feeding him treats.  While I was gone he got him in and out of the cage several times.  When I returned he had Boychik going in and out on command.  We put him in and went around the corner in the kitchen and waited to see how he'd do.  We heard no whining or panicking.  After 30 minutes we took him out side and walked him to where he usually went potty.  I said, "Go potty, go potty", while we were walking.  When we got there I waved my hand backwards as if I was "shooshing"  him saying "go potty".  Then I stood very quiet and turned my face away from him (all our other dogs seemed to always like their privacy...maybe our imagination but they never like us to watch...lol).  He walked around and sniffed and then squatted.  I didn't believe what I was hearing....seemed like he tinkled a gallon's worth.  I turned around and praised him over the top and put the lead back on and walked back to the house.  He literally pranced back, keeping a heel with out me asking.
 
I have gotten off the story line.  His first night in the house.  He was fed out side, given his nightly back rub and hug and kissed good night.  15 minutes later I peeked out to see if he had gone to bed in his outside kennel.  He wasn't but he was laying on the door mat sound asleep. (we always leave the porch light on till he is asleep).  I turned out the light and headed to get ready for bed.  About ten minutes later I heard very loud barking from the back of the house. Next sound I heard, was the sleeping parrots hollering "come here, come here" with a whistle that sounded just like me whistling.  Then Zepher goes "Woof woof, puppy dog".
 
I went to the front door and hollered, " Boychik, Home."  I had to holler three times and whistle twice and then he came thundering down the ramp.  He didn't come to me, he ran to the front door and shoved his nose in the crack. 
 
I said, "You want to sleep inside tonight?  If you wake me up you'll be camping out till the snow flies."  when we came in the door I said, "Cage".  He ran to it and went inside and flopped down hard.
 
I decided maybe I aught to cover all but the door, just in case night walkers stalking the caged animal, came by and woke him up.  I remembered he panicked when the house lights went out the first time we tried.  I went and retrieved the night light from the bathroom and plugged it in around the corner in the kitchen. 
 
Then I did the outside routine of the back rubs and hugs and put him back in the cage and said goodnight.  Went and washed short hair dog smell off my hands and headed to bed.  Shut our door and never heard another sound all night.
 
Hunny had to leave early today.  The alarm went off at 5:00 AM.  I needed to walk past the cage to go to the laundry.  He didn't wake up until I came back by 10 minutes later.
 
I opened the cage and put his lead on.  I wanted to start a routine we'd do every day he spent the night in. We went out on the porch, headed for the potty place and I removed the lead.  He wanted nothing of it.  He wanted to stretch and shake and scratch and preen.  He went through a whole morning routine which reminded me of hunny, who at that moment was doing his morning routine in the bathroom.  
 
Boychix was showing me there was a proper sequence to the morning toilette.  When he was finished he walked over to the potty place and turned his head sideways giving me the "look".  Which said to me, "turn your head".  It was all I could do not to laugh.  He very much wouldn't go till I turned my head.
 
When he was finished he gave a big shake and ambled over waiting for me to put on the lead.   I had intended to feed him that minute but he had other intentions.  He wanted back in the house. 
 
We went in, he ran to the bathroom and was going to say good morning to Hunny but when he walked in he got side tracked. There in front of him was the thing in his dreams.  Sitting on the bath bench was the Siamese cat.  The only one he had been able to get within 4 feet.  He was only 1 foot away.  He started his whining song of love and she responded with low rumbling growls.  When his whine pitched increased, she hollered back with spits and lashed out with claws.  He didn't back down and she didn't try to get her aim closer.  We had a stand off for at least 15 minutes.  He left her side when he saw Hunny drying his hands with a towel and went to claim his morning attention from Hunny.
 
The cat used the opportunity to charge out the bathroom door.  I wonder how long it will take or if they will ever learn they can walk in the same space as he does and survive.  My only fear is he will lick them to death if he ever gets the chance. 
 
We had another milestone this morning.  I was sitting here typing away and he came running over.  I asked him if he wanted to go out.  He didn't move to the door and looked quizzically at me.  I thought I wonder?  and then I went to the door.  He gladly went and when I opened it he went out but he was waiting for me.  I didn't get the lead.  I didn't say go potty. I walked him to the end of the ramp (he stayed at a heel with no command).  I just stood there, he looked at me and then walked over and hid behind the car and poo'd.  I'm not sure but I think he communicated with me. The problem is, I wish he would be more vocal about it.  What if I am distracted and don't see the signs?
 
BTW, He's in his cage right now.  He was cornering the cats and getting hyper.  He's asleep so I know he's in no distress over it.
 
BTW...we know people use "crate" or "kennel" for the command but when he heard them he had no response.  "Cage" rang his bell.  That's another BTW, We could never hang a bell on the door for him to ring to potty.  He'd be playing with it ringing it all the time.  Or he would grab it and play tug of war.  Everything is a toy to him.  It is a constant struggle to figure out what he is going to decide is his and teach him that it is ours and a no no.

I wonder what today will bring!
 
Other blog sites by me:
 


A blog mostly about quilting,
cooking, poetry, prose and a little gardening,
 Tutorial on how to make 5 panel Boxer Shorts.
 Check out "A MYSTERY IN THE MAKING"
A mystery quilt designed with the novice in mind. 
 
Where I have stories of my cats and other pets
a blog about my courtship with my husband,
and a blog about my most embarrassing moment.
A "Soap box" blog where I do air my opinions.
 
blogs about the wildflowers on our farm
Organic methods we use, some cooking and some poetry,
blogs about Seed sprouting, insects, and garden pictures
Blog about an endangered beneficial beetle
 
All recipes, pictures, and writings are my own.
I give credit for items which belong to other people in my blogs .
Please do not copy without permission
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment