Home

Sunday, June 1, 2014

THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF MY LIFE

The saga of our affair with a Pit Bull Dog:
The beginning is the place to start.  I wish I had started this Story on the first day, but I never thought the day would turn into a month.  I never intended the day to last this long.  
My husband said, "Not on this farm."
He did not say it because the dog was a Pit Bull.  He said it because it was the first time we had been with out animals of the canine variety for 50 years.  We had had small discussions about possibly getting another dog and the cons outweighed the pluses. 
We have been tied down by animals all these years, never able to travel together because someone has to be here to take care of the animals.  You see, we also have 10 cats, two African Gray Parrots and 30 chickens .  Our last Dog passed away in December of 13. 
April 21, 2014 a neighbor called and asked if we had gotten a new dog?  I said, "No, Why."  She commented there was one by the gate and she was afraid it was going to go out in the road and get hit.  I told her I'd be right down. 
When I got down there I didn't see him at first.  He had lain down in the weeds at the base of a tree.  When I called him he scooted backwards afraid of me.  I slowly walked up with my hand out and he finally let me get close enough to smell my hand.  When I reached to pet him he cowered.  He was terrified of me.  I tried to get him to follow me to the car and he wouldn't budge.  I took off my belt to use as a collar and leash. 
He let me collar him and got up, that was when I noticed he had a terrible limp and had several deep scratches on his forelegs and shoulders.  I walked him to the car and then it was very difficult to get him in the car.  He was afraid of the car.  When I finally got him in he collapsed down on the floor and went sound asleep.  I drove him up to the house, wondering what to do with him. 
I called Hunny and told him the dilemma.  He said, "We'll have to take him to the pound."  I said, "Lets put a sign out, we have a busy corner maybe someone will know where he belongs."
It was early afternoon and I called Vets in the area and told them he was at my house and had them put notes on their boards.
I then proceeded to try and figure out where he'd spend the night.  We were going to have big storms through the night.
  I got a serving of food for him (yes we had dog food around).   He ate like he was starved.  At this point I think he weighed about 55 pounds. This is our Pit Bull before he had a name, eating his first meal while I am calling the vets.
Not a very attractive picture.  I hadn't realized how skinny he was.  Wish I had taken another picture.
We brought a huge dog kennel for transporting dogs down from the attic in the barn.  It was put on the front porch under the eaves, covered in plastic and a bunch of soft towels inside. We had a storm door which had been replaced and was still leaning against the house.  I used it to make a lean-to in front of the opening so rain wouldn't blow in.  I had no idea if this would work for him or not.
When Hunny came home and greeted the dog, he reached out to pet him and the dog fell flat to the ground.  He acted like He was going to be hit.  That was our first indication he had been beaten.   The first night he was here we barricaded him in the area of the kennel.  Mainly because we didn't know if he would be afraid of the lightening and thunder that was coming.  We didn't want him to go charging off into the woods with the first lightening bolt.
I was taking a cup of dog food out to him every hour to get him used to the idea that he was safe and being taken care of.   He never tried to leave he was always looking back when he went out to potty to make sure we were still there.
From his actions we do not think he was a runaway or lost,
We believe he was dumped.   
This is just the first day.
I will continue the story of our exciting adventure tomorrow.
Other blog sites by me:
A blog mostly about quilting,
cooking, poetry, prose and a little gardening,
 Tutorial on how to make 5 panel Boxer Shorts.
 Check out "A MYSTERY IN THE MAKING"
A mystery quilt designed with the novice in mind. 
http://gloriouscreations.blogspot.com/2013/07/a-mystery-in-making.html


Where I have stories of my cats and other pets
a blog about my courtship with my husband,
and a blog about my most embarrassing moment.
A "Soap box" blog where I do air my opinions.

blogs about the wildflowers on our farm
Organic methods we use, some cooking and some poetry,
blogs about Seed sprouting, insects, and garden pictures
Blog about an endangered beneficial beetle

All recipes, pictures, and writings are my own.
I give credit for items which belong to other people in my blogs .
Please do not copy without permission

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for saving him and sharing your story. I am looking forward to the next posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading. Maybe he is saving us. It's been a month filed with trials and lots of errors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got a loyal member of the family there Glo. I'm feeling love in the air all around.....except for the cats. lol.

    ReplyDelete